The Best and Worst Moments in Sports History Involving a Mustache
Life is a lot like growing a mustache. At first, things can be a little fuzzy. At times, things can appear to be a little bit rough. However, with enough patience and perseverance ultimately everything can end up smooth. In the world of sports, matters are not much different.
Mustaches have played an instrumental part in some of the most memorable moments in sports history. Take, for example, Game 1 of the 1988 World Series. On that fabled night, one mustache triumphed while another mustache suffered the agony of defeat. With the Dodgers down 3-2 with two outs in the bottom of the 9th, Tommy Lasorda needed something special from his team. He needed a mustache. He called upon the ailing Kirk Gibson to face one of the most feared lip carpeters of our time, Dennis Eckersley. With a 3-2 count, Eck threw Gibson a backdoor slider that sailed over the fence giving the Dodgers Game 1 of the World Series and the momentum that would catapult them to an eventual World Series title. Did Eck freeze under the fear of Kirk’s flickering stash? Should this be considered a victory or a defeat for mustaches across the world? No one knows for sure. What we do know is that those little rugs that reside under the nostrils of many sports figures have seen the best and worst of times.
I have compiled a list of the best and worst moments in sports history involving a mustache. It is a top 7 list. I have chosen the number 7 in honor of Philly’s own Ron Jaworski, who wore number 7 and tragically lost his battle to a Gillette a few years ago. So strap on your seat belts because we are about to take a mustache ride through the best and worst moments in sports history involving a mustache….
The top 7 moments in sports history involving a mustache:
1. Mark Spitz wins seven gold medals at the 1972 Munich Olympics
2. Kirk Gibson hits a walk-off homer in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series
3. Dale Earnhardt wins the 1998 Daytona 500
4. Martina Navratilova wins her record 58th Grand Slam title
5. Hulk Hogan faces the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania VI
6. Randy Johnson pitches a perfect game against the Atlanta Braves
7. Frank Shorter wins olympic gold in the marathon at the 1972 Olympics
The top 7 worst moments in sports history involving a mustache:
1. Bill Buckner lets the ball slip through his legs during Game 6 of the 1986 World Series
2. The mustached trio of Jeff Gilooly, bodyguard Shawn Eckert, and Tonya Harding attack Nancy Kerrigan before the 1994 Winter Olympics
3. Richard Jewell is falsely accused of bombing the Olympic City Village in Atlanta
4. Mike Ditka and Rafael Palmiero are chosen as national spokesmen for erectile dysfunction drugs (Levitra and Viagra)
5. Wild Bill Hickok is shot and killed in a game of poker while holding aces over eights
6. Von Kaiser is defeated by Little Mac in Mike Tyson’s Punchout
7. Rollie Fingers retires